Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!

About Me

My photo
Complex and grumpy but tries hard to please.

Thursday 10 January 2013

Turning Up the Heat


Athleticism..

Despite my abdominal strain and niggling calf, I’ve been feeling really strong of late.

I really look forward to the Saturday morning Park Run and went sub-26 mins last week. I’ve picked out a new pace setter to help me go even faster and closer to my sub-25 mins next target. Bring it on.

Sundays I have been doing some interval running work around Rother Valley and Killamarsh. It’s approximately an 8.5km round trip. I’ve surprised myself that even after a hard run I can still finish with an uphill sprint. It’s very pleasing.

I’ve also swapped pools for my swimming sessions. I’ve been concentrating on stroke technique more than strength lately but I think it’s time to dig the resistance rope out again to build on my forearms. To swim fast you need a good underwater pull (as well as reducing water drag through streamlining). To this end, I’ve been doing some butterfly stroke which is something I haven’t done since the Summer. I think I’ve only ever swam butterfly once competitively in an individual medley event when I was a child. It’s a killer but great for strength building. I might end up Mr V-Shape yet. Certainly the abs are coming on.

I’ve toyed with the idea of getting a turbo trainer for my bicycle. I’ve read good and bad reviews about various makes that would enable me to spin indoors during the icy and dangerous weather. I’ve not made a decision yet but I’ve definitely decided to go on some Sheffield CTC trips starting next week. These are organised cycle runs which should help me with technique and endurance. I’m looking forward to getting back on the bike.

It’s time to start booking my 2013 events.


Music….

I play with the live setup of Tokyo Witch Hunt and the new album, Eclectic Electric, is available from the usual digital download stores and the reviews are positive. I don’t do Facebook, but you can keep up to date with what’s happening chez TWH via www.facebook.com/tokyowitchhunt or www.tokyowitchhunt.com


And finally…

I have hot water and heat again!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More likely the Laffalympics behind Dastardly and Muttley.

      Delete
    2. I deleted this accidentally! Oops. Sorry, Izzie!

      Delete
  2. New New Year off to a good start. I've read that cycle rollers are better than turbo trainers - they make you concentrate on balance aswell as the obvious workout for the legs. A bit more expensive and take some getting used to apparently (ever get the impression I've "looked into it" but gone no further"!)
    What - Izzie has actually finished the album? I need a lie down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Lee. Good to hear from you. Hope you're well? I'll check out the rollers. Interesting.

    Yes, Izzie has released the album! I think she was sharing studio time with David Bowie (right Izz?)

    ReplyDelete