Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!

About Me

My photo
Complex and grumpy but tries hard to please.

Tuesday 29 January 2013

Trains, Pigs and Who?

Because of the snow, I took the train to work a couple of times last week, walking a couple of miles to the village station to catch a connection train in the City Centre. I enjoy rail journeys (as well as the fact that Sheffield Midland station pub has a very comprehensively stocked selection of cask ales for the return journey). 

Wintry Sheffield Woodhouse Station
 
My ticket was checked by Lisa. Her name badge described her as Revenue Enforcement Officer. I wonder what happened to Train Guards or Conductors. Probably got lost in the era of rail privatisation. Anyway, the Destination Facilitator (Train Driver) got me to my intended location in good order through the snowy period.

Staying on the subject of rail travel, I've been perusing the published intended route for the new High Speed 2 rail link. This will be passing through Killamarsh, Rother Valley and on to Catcliffe, not a million miles from me. There are quite a few of the old lines still extant but now used as nature routes for walkers and cyclists, including myself for training. Some of the viaducts, and even the old station at Killamarsh are still in situ. However, it seems that these old routes are not suitable for high speed rail travel and hence the new rail route being built alongside. I think this is an exciting time for regeneration and investment though I understand the concerns of those who will be affected by compulsory purchases. From what I have seen of the plans, my area is not that affected other than the building of new viaducts at Rother Valley, Renishaw and Catcliffe.

The fomer Killamarsh Central Station (www.geograph.org.uk)
Anyway, with the snow having subsided enough and when I did manage to get the van on to the road, opposite the still snowy hale-baled field, I was distracted by two pigs humping in a farm yard whilst another watched on. I guess there isn’t much else to do in a snowy pig sty. I deduced a voyeuristic pig is bound to be a much colder than two humping ones though.
 ...........................

The Who are coming to play Quadraphenia at Sheffield Arena. I have seen them perform a couple of times and am weighing up whether or not I can justify spending £60 (for a cheap seat) to go and see them again. Tickets go on sale this Friday. Dilemma!
……………..
As for my training regime,  I haven’t managed to do any cycling and couldn’t get to do Park Run at the weekend but I made up for it with resistance rope work, a 1km stint in the pool and a very muddy sub 1-hour cross country 10km. I have shaved and had a hair cut so maybe it was streamling that got me the decent time.

1 comment: