Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!

About Me

My photo
Complex and grumpy but tries hard to please.

Thursday 27 September 2012

I am a Triathlete!

Southwell  Last Minute Triathlon

After driving through a foggy and cold Sherwood Forest, I arrived at Southwell Leisure Centre to meet my nemesis, The Esendex Last Minute Triathlon.

After registration and collecting my race number and timing chip. I familiarised myself with the transition area and did a walk around. The first wave of swimmers were just setting off at 7.30am and were emerging out in to the cold at the rear of the pool complex to run in to transition.  I had a couple of hours to prepare for my wave at 9.56am so enjoyed a flask of hot coffee and a banana whilst keeping warm in the van.

I moved in to transition and checked my bike tyre pressures, stocked up my transition box with jelly babies (none of this expensive gel nonsense) and laid out my pre-talc’d kit of running shoes and socks plus my helmet. I threw in a few plasters and tools for good measure just in case. I racked the bike and went to watch some other competitors going through as they clambered on and off bikes between T1 (Swim-Bike) and T2 (Bike-Run).

It was quite reassuring to see that my 1980’s Raleigh Europa racing bike wasn’t quite the oldest, not far off though. Also, some of the mishaps that I dreaded happening to me happening to others. I will never forget the sight of a middle-aged lady running out of the pool in a bikini, putting on a rain mack and then climbing aboard a shopping bicycle ever! Nor, the elite-looking triathlete guy 3 metres across the bike mounting line getting off his bike, sitting on the floor and putting on his cleated bike shoes after giving up trying to do it whilst mounting his bike.

About half an hour before my start I did my stretching exercises and then I was called to the pool start. I had been allotted a lane to myself (maybe they had heard how frustrated I get sharing). I swam the 400m (16 lengths) steadily to avoid over exertion. I walked briskly out of the pool before the barefooted run in to transition about 30m away.  

Because I was wearing a trisuit, I didn’t have to mess about towelling off and putting shorts on. It was helmet on, socks on, shoes on, mouthful of jelly babies then off on the bike.

The bike course was an out and back 17.6k cycle to the village of Lowdham. I got overtaken by several others on the undulating course. My six gears made it hard going in places but I appreciated the cycling club that shouted encouragement up the hill telling me to “dig deep”. It was motivating and welcome encouragement.

The return leg was harder due to the head wind but I was pleased I didn’t have to get out of my saddle or stop even once before rolling back in to transition for the run up the infamous Southwell Slope for the 5k run.

It took me a while to find my running legs but I just took things at a steady pace.  It was 2 laps of the windy road course and I saw a few familiar faces going the other way. Soon it was all over and I was turning in to the finishing straight, my name booming over the tannoy as I raised my arms in personal victory towards the photographer as I crossed the line. I had done it, become a triathlete.

5 months ago I couldn’t run a mile without stopping. I needed to cross train to help my swimming endurance. Within six weeks I had completed a 5km race, and since then a 10km. I have done 2 open water 1 mile swimming races and have a new zest for my personal well-being.

I’m loving it.


2 comments:

  1. Fantastic!!. Nice Tri suit :) Very tribal. Almost looks like you've moved up in the world and got a tattoo :/

    ReplyDelete