Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!

About Me

My photo
Complex and grumpy but tries hard to please.

Monday 17 September 2012

Speedo Big Swim @ Rother Valley

100k miles up!
I took part in the Speedo Big Swim at Rother Valley Country Park over the weekend.  Arriving at the lake, my trusty van clocked 100,000 miles on the odometer.

The weather was glorious and the temperature was such that wet suits were optional. All bar one person wore one though, including me, for the mile swim around the main lake.

Nice day for a lake swim
Open water starts are always a bit of a rugby scrum so I took a position near the back of the pack. I only got hit by a couple of arms and feet this time.

Half way around I noticed a swimmer struggling. He turned on to his back (which is the open water swimming signal for, ‘Help!’). I got to him before the rescue boat and made sure that he was ok. The guy was alright, just out of breath and tired. I swam with him for a while until he composed himself and found his stride again.

I found this a tougher swim than the last. Lots of pond weed to wade through. I front crawled to the first buoy but my goggles had steamed up by then. I switched to breast stroke and removed my goggles for better visibility and for a breather.

I exited the water with the notorious jelly legs syndrome but still had to run up the slope to stop the clock on my chip timer. It’s a phenomenon associated with triathlon and I still haven’t mastered it. It’s a bit like jumping straight out of bed and going light headed and woozy when you stand up. My official photograph won’t exactly be an Ursula Andress moment, where she strides out of the sea all glamorous, on to the beach in the Dr No film.

My time was 32 mins 34secs, faster than my Dip in the Dales swim, but slower than I wanted to be, although I did lose time making sure someone wasn’t drowning. It should have been a sub-30 min swim.

I made my way to the bar at the lake side and ordered a beer. I saw a child with a fishing net and heard him say, ‘Look Mum! I’ve caught some tadpoles!’ 

Rother Valley Country Park - formerly an old coal mining site

Ah, the joys of open water swimming.
 .....................................
In other news, Izzie has changed the band name to Tokyo Witch Hunt, which being as this is my blog, I may refer to as Japanese Eyes/Lips when I feel like it.

Ok?

Next weekend is a busy one. Bomfest gig on Friday.

Then, the small matter of my first triathlon on Sunday morning.




2 comments:

  1. Well done mate- sounds like it was a tough one. Good on you for helping the struggling guy...and you will get the wrong end of my notorious roundhouse kick if you call it that! (kidding)

    ReplyDelete