Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!

About Me

My photo
Complex and grumpy but tries hard to please.

Monday 8 October 2012

Faster yet Slower!

In Solihull with the Olympic Torch

Extract from conversation last week…

Colleague to Me: X wants to know if she can remotely access our server to update software.
Me: No!
Colleague on telephone to software supplier: He says, “No!” He’s just a grump. Look him up on the internet.
Me to Colleague: Insubordinate!
…………

In the Hollin Bush….

How to clear an afternoon funeral wake for the Friday night regulars. Put music on, select Abba track, collect plates up.
 ……………….

I don’t know where the burst of energy came from, but I busted my personal
best on the latest 5km Park Run without really trying. When I looked at my time splits, I’d done the same for the mile and 3km in the same run. Very pleased with that. I’m really enjoying these Saturday mornings. Well organised and very friendly – and free! However, the next day it all came crashing down…

The Tudor Grange Aquathlon in Solihull was my first shot at the dual discipline event. An Olympic Legacy event, it was a 400m pool swim followed by 5km run. As usual, I arrived at the venue early to familiarise myself with the run and transition areas. Transition had been moved from the coach parking bays outside the Leisure Centre to the disabled parking bays. This made me quite angry seeing a load of able-bodied and mostly-fit athletes using it as a changing area because it was next to the pool exit. There must have been a reason for doing so I guess, but the less-able need closer access to the leisure centre for parking than we do. Anyway, back to the race.

I was numbered in the last wave of swimmers, the third last athlete to commence of the day. Unfortunately the two after me were like lightning and I exited the pool last. After quick transition to put on socks and running shoes I was off to join the others on the run.  I had one guy in my sight, about 200m in front and clawed my way up to him. I was just about to overtake him when he turned in to the finishing area which left me the last out on the course. He had been a lap in front of me having started earlier but he had been my motivation to run harder. Last out of the pool and last across the finishing line isn’t a good feeling but of course if you start one of the last of the day, the finish will probably be one of the last. It would all come down to my time splits to see if I would be bottom of the pile on the results board.

Fortunately I wasn’t.

9 mins dead for my swim was a really poor time. I can swim 400m nearly 2 mins faster in training. But my run saved me. Done in 27 mins 39 secs. Looking at the splits, I had manage to claw back a 2 mins deficit against some 7-minute swimmers and turn it in to a 2 mins lead over them on the run. I ended up 17th  out of 21 very good competitors, mostly triathlon club members.

On analysis, I know I’ve not put as many lengths in to my swimming training as I should have lately. Fortunately, the vastly improved running fitness has compensated and reaped benefits. I have a month before my next competitive event, another aquathlon, to do some serious swimming miles against the clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment