Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!

About Me

My photo
Complex and grumpy but tries hard to please.

Sunday 26 August 2012

An Indifferent Week



Some people think that if you play in band you make money out of gigging or selling CDs. Maybe once upon  time you could make a living from it, especially being a "club" act. I've always refused to sell-out to being a covers band member whilst playing to a bingo-winged audience for a living. This week my cage was well and truly rattled. Vivienne Holliday take a bow. You ruined my bank holiday weekend. I turned down a break on the coast with my mother for you.

Two months ago we were asked to play at the 1 in 12 bar in Bradford as part of the Delius150th anniversary event. TWO days ago, after Izzie doing all the chasing to track down confirmation of the booking, we were told the event was off. Had Izzie not have chased I am sure Ms Holliday would have happily allowed us to drive up the M1 and along the M62 to turn up on the night to closed doors. Those who were coming along to see us would have experienced the same problem too.

Bands take note - avoid any events promoted by Vivienne Holliday.

In my training, I have had a better week.

I have invested in a few items which have turned out to be fantastic resources. Firstly, I bought a tempo trainer. Basically this is a metronome that you wear under your swimming cap. It allows you to pace consistently for both speed and endurance. Superb piece of kit. Secondly, I'm using a swimming parachute. The best way I can describe it is a piece of material attached to a belt that trails behind you as you swim, creating a resistance that slows you down, and makes you work harder. Picture the space shuttle coming in to land and deploying the parachute to slow it down on the runway. Coupled with my pullbuoy set (a float that goes between your legs) my arms and shoulders have had a really good work out.

I had to say thank you to the pool attendant today too. The rather large and slow person in the fast lane obviously had trouble reading too. "Fast" lane does not mean "Fat" and snail pace lane. The attendant courteously requested the person to move out of the lane without the need for me to rant. My frustration had obviously been noted and acted upon. I am getting to like how this pool is run!

On the running front, I'm also using a metronome for pacing. Set at 180bpm, I ran in my fastest 3km ever today, and that was after my hard 1km workout in the pool. If I work on my cycling as efficiently tomorrow it will have been my most productive training week.


No comments:

Post a Comment