Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!

About Me

My photo
Complex and grumpy but tries hard to please.

Monday 6 August 2012

I Dipped in the Dales




I have successfully navigated the lake at Semerwater, my first open water swim.

Leaving work on Friday night I headed up the A1 on an empty stomach. By the time I had reached Bedale it was getting late. I nourished myself with a plate of cod, chips, peas and bread (unbuttered) washed down with a mug of coffee. I thoroughly recommend the family-run Halls Fish and Chip Restaurant and Takeaway. £7.90 for a tasty and seated belly full was good value.

On arriving at Semerwater, I had to call in at the farm to pay for my camping pitch, a piece of grass verge with the road edge at one side of the tent and the lake at the other. No toileting or water facilities but I was prepared for this. £3 for the night.

Of course it rained when putting up the tent, still in my suit, and the ducks kept me awake for a while before I managed to drift off to sleep.

By 7.30am the next morning, I was cooking myself a bacon and egg omelette at the side of the road, much to the bemusement of passing cars. Very tasty it was too.

Half an hour later I was struggling into my wetsuit and had to request assistance from a fellow dipper who had parked to the side of me.

A quick safety briefing and then in to the lake I went along with the other 81 swimmers in our bright yellow caps. I had been allotted Cap 7 and set off in Wave 2.

The first couple of hundred metres I free styled in the 17 degree Celsius water before deciding I could sight the marker buoys (space hoppers) better by doing the breast stroke. A couple of swimmers from Wave 3 overtook me but I managed to complete the mile in a half respectable 45th position with a time of  33 mins 42 secs, just about what I was expecting. I celebrated with a bottle of water, energy bar and pot noodle with my finishers medal around my neck.

It was an exhilarating experience that should see me prepared for the next lake swim at Rother Valley in September.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent!. Now you see, I want to 'Like' this, and I can't :) Seriously, well done.
    Izzie x

    ReplyDelete