Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!Click here for more graphics and gifs!

About Me

My photo
Complex and grumpy but tries hard to please.

Monday 20 August 2012

Unbelievable, Jeff!




As Chris Kamara would say, “Unbelievable, Jeff!”

I managed to find a local pool with lane swimming on a Sunday morning.

My Dad used to work at this particular pool and it was strange going back to swim there for the first time since a child.

The first thing that struck me was the helpfulness of the staff and the friendliness of the other swimmers, neither of which I have been used to of late. 8am on a Sunday morning must be before the stresses of the week kick-in for everyone.

I picked the “fast lane” and had it all to myself and managed a really good interval training session. I recorded some good (for me) times and did some strength work using my pullbuoy.

Later in the day, after a quick pilates session, I went for a run. I was aiming for a sub-60mins 10km but by the time I reached Rother Valley Country Park (7.6km) I was about 3 mins off pace target as the heavens opened. Rather than risk injury on a narrow slippery trail for the sake of another 10mins of running I called it a day and had a nice leisurely stroll home, albeit very wet.

Had a flapjack on the way back in Beighton village, well two actually. 59p each.

My Trafford Metro Swimming Club and ASA Membership forms are now completed. Once verified, they will enable me to compete in Masters Events and officially complete my return to competitive swimming after a 28 year hiatus when I won the Schools Under 15 Breast stroke Relay (which was the biggest trophy I ever lifted). I will try and find the newspaper clipping to post on here. I still remember being handed it again on prize giving night at Sheffield City Hall in front of hundreds of people with my shirt untucked at the back.

I’ve been looking at past masters events and the times of some of the swimmers. I could still podium for sprint events it seems for my age group. Must keep the training going in that case. Trafford Metro membership (as opposed to my local club) means I can have the benefits of membership and ASA registration without being tied to the rigid training sessions times of other clubs. I will be self-training in effect, something that has always suited me fine.

I can now be subject to random drug testing too.

I have let my cycling training slip as I prioritise for upcoming events. I have two 10km trail races in September which are my current focus. I must not let my cycling get left too far behind on the agenda. Please keep reminding me.

In the real world, a few things have saddened me this weekend, particularly the death of Winnie Johnson whilst being potentially so near to finding the body of her son, Keith Bennett, who suffered at the hands of Moors Murderers, Ian Brady and Myra Hindley; and, the incarceration of Pussy Riot members for expression of opinion in Russia.

Hopefully karma will have some say in these matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment